Friday, May 13, 2011

Dover Race Preview

AJ ALLMENDINGER
No. 43 Best Buy Ford Fusion
• Allmendinger has made eight starts at Dover (Del.) International Speedway
• Allmendinger enters the race in 11th place in the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series driver point standings
• Allmendinger’s best finish at the Monster Mile (seventh) came in 2009

AJ Allmendinger on Dover: “I love going to Dover, it’s my favorite track on the circuit. It has high banks, it’s really fast and I’ve had a lot of success there over the years. It’s always been my favorite track since I started racing in the Cup Series in 2007, plus Dover has one of the greatest trophies of the season, so it’s one I really want to take home.

“Last year it was a place where I ran really well. I led 143 laps and I had a car that was capable of winning the race until a flat tire took me out of contention on Lap 200. That was the first race where I really felt like I could easily take the lead and I could run with the big boys. We ended up finishing 10th because of the flat tire, but it was still a great race because it was a sign that this team could run with anyone. It was really cool to take the lead and just drive away. I knew I had a great car last year and that gives me confidence going to Dover this weekend. I know I can make it happen and hopefully take home the win in my Best Buy Ford Fusion. I see these guys this year that are winning for the first time and I’m happy for them, but I want to be that guy so badly. Dover is a great track and I hope it happens for us this weekend.”

Crew Chief Mike Shiplett’s Thoughts on Dover: “I love going to Dover. Miles the Monster is one of the coolest trophies they give out all year. At last year’s spring race in Dover, we had a really good car, but one bad pit stop and a pit road speeding penalty took that away from us.

“The cars seems to get loose on entry during the race, so we will have to work on the right front wheel rate of the Best Buy Ford a lot during practice. Making good pit stops will be important. We don’t want to get a lap down, because it’s really hard to make it up at these short tracks.”

Chassis History: The No. 43 RPM team has prepared chassis No. 710 for this weekend’s event at Dover International Speedway. This Best Buy Ford has been run previously this season at Bristol.

Notes: Allmendinger has eight NASCAR Sprint Cup Series starts at Dover International Speedway. Allmendinger’s best starting position at the one-mile track (second) came in 2010. During last year’s fall event Allmendinger led 143 of the 400 laps run and brought home a Top-10 finish. Allmendinger enters Dover in 11th position in the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series driver point standings.

Before making his way to Dover, Allmendinger will take a trip to Kentucky Speedway this week. Allmendinger will spend Wednesday with media at the track, which will host its first Sprint Cup Series event in July.

Allmendinger and teammate Marcos Ambrose will participate in the Dover Air Force Base Social on Friday from 6:30-8:30 p.m. The event will offer live music, free food and entertainment for the Air Force base community. In addition, AJ and Marcos will be signing autographs for the troops and their families.

Credit - Richard Petty Motorsports PR

No comments:

Post a Comment