Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Dinger Fan Story #7

Here is one of my many stories about my friend Greg.  I call it.... A Father's Dedication

As most of you know, AJ's dad is a retired floor covering installer. I worked with Greg in the trade for many years. AJ was running go-carts at the time. We were asked to install carpet one evening in an office building in Santa Clara. The evening started out as usual - we pulled out the old glued down carpet and we were going to put the new carpet in over pad. We spread out the tack strip and started to nail it down. To this day Greg says when I walked back in to the office from getting something out of the truck that I startled him. Anyway instead of Greg hitting the nail in the strip, Greg hit his thumb with the hammer. I mean you could not have hit it any better if you tried. It just exploded his left thumb - it was pretty bad if you know what I mean. I won't go into detail for some of you with a weak stomach. Since I was running the job I told Greg I will make a call and get someone else to come help me and that he should go home and take care of his thumb. This is the part that I will never forget. He looked me straight in my eyes and said, "My kid needs go-cart tires and I need this money to buy them." So we wrapped a piece of pad around his thumb, then wrapped some duct tape around it to keep the pad on it and Greg worked that way the rest of the night. I was just amazed that he could keep laying carpet that evening with his thumb in such bad shape. It just goes to show how much love and dedication Greg has for his son AJ. I hope all you AJ fans out there enjoyed this story. It is one evening that I will never forget.

Ron V
San Jose, Ca

No comments:

Post a Comment